Both travellers and hostels alike value genuine on-line reviews, as well as hostel owner's contributions! Below you will find some advise and tips from our marketing content team on why you should consider replying to guest's comments, and tips on how to do it right.
Why reply to a good review? Many properties focus on replying to negative reviews however it makes good sense to reply to positive reviews too. You are showing you appreciate that guests take the time to submit a review. It’s an affirmation you and your team are doing a good job. It also highlights what guests like most about your hostel and sends a good message to future bookers. It can be the deciding factor when they are choosing which hostel to book.
Ensure you mention your property name in your reply – just to remind any future bookers which property you are!
Why reply to a negative review? Treat all reviews as valuable feedback, not everyone is going to like you but you can take the opportunity to thank the guest for taking the time to give their feedback. Responding to negative reviews gives you the opportunity to ensure that future bookers hear your point of view. Remember you are not just replying to one disgruntled guest but to all future guests, address any issues that have been flagged, acknowledge that they are being dealt with, apologise and sympathise.
Where a guest gives factually incorrect information – use this platform to clear any confusion in a clear and polite manner
Take the opportunity to turn a negative into something positive when dealing with a negative review e.g. ‘Our bathrooms are usually spotless, so we will investigate what happened here’ or ‘Our receptionist is usually known for his/her attentiveness, so we were surprised at this feedback”
Never ever use this platform to abuse or disparage a guest, Hostelworld will not publish any replies from properties that are insulting or use bad language, nor do we condone contacting any guest directly with abusive emails. Think of the audience reading your reply, use this opportunity to show you care and showcase your property in the best light.
Here are some tips for responding to reviews:
- Be personal: Don't just write "Thank you" in response to a positive review.Take the time to craft a personalized message – this shows that you care about each of your guests
- Less is more: Keep your responses concise and to the point.
- Originality is appealing: Make sure that every response is unique and specific. A genuine reply is key for maximum customer satisfaction.
- Change a negative into a positive: How you respond to a negative review says more about your property than the negative review itself. Be genuine and look for potential opportunities to improve the experience at your property for future guests.
- Double check your work: Take a little extra time to make sure you've written what you intended. We can remove a response if necessary, but it's always better to get it right the first time around.